Sunday, May 2, 2010

Joe Bonamassa Ohio Theatre 4/29/10

Joe Bonamassa may be a blues guitarist but he rocked Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday night. I have seen Joe Bonamassa before and although he was always good in the past, he has stepped up his playing a notch and his vocals have come into their own on this tour. The back up band was super, the sound was excellent and the lighting effects while simple were very effective in creating a mood. Joe mentioned the small crowds he used to play to in Cleveland in the past. 20 people at the Beachland Tavern 10 of whom were there for the two for one PBR's. He then moved up to the Beachland Ballroom where I first encountered this guitar virtuoso. I have seen Joe play at the House Of Rules and now a sold out show in the beautiful Ohio Theatre. This show by far was his best.

Mr. Bonamassa changes guitars through out the evening like a hooker going through rubbers. He started the concert with a double neck guitar, then came a black Gibson, a sunburst Gibson, a Gold Gibson, some weird looking Fender I guess, a red hollow body electric guitar, an accoustic guitar, a purple Gibson, a wine colored guitar and a flying V. Ten guitars and I am thinking I missed one or two changes in my notes.

Before the show I had it all set up to get the set list from one of Joe's people after the show. I started talking to some friends that I ran into after the show and forgot to grab the set list. Forgive me if I get some of the names wrong but I think I got most of them. The first song was a slow bluesy tune that I don't know the name of, Oh well. He then stepped up the tempo for "Last Kiss". A led Zepplin sounding song "So Many Roads". "So It's Like That" had a nice keyboard solo in it played by Rick Mellick. My friend Rick informed me that this next song was written by Warren Haynes "If Heartaches Were Nickels", Joes vocals were excellent on this song. Eric Clapton wasn't present to play "Further On Up The Road". Joe and Rick Mellick stay on stage the other two players leave and the song is "Slow Gin", they started out slow and worked it into a crescendo. The band then rocked out to "Lonesome Road". A drum heavy "Happier Times" was a crowd pleaser. The heavy metal "Blue and Evil" had Joe really starting to smoke. They went back to a more traditional type of blues for "Three Times A Fool". Then came Jeff Beck's "Blues Deluxe". Another cover song, the Who's "Young Mans Blues". Joe now straps on an acoustic guitar and starts out in a Spanish sounding style, that morphs into a get down funky beat, then Joe just starts shredding until the guitar should just burst into flames, "Wake Up Dreaming", I thought I was dreaming it was that good. A Jeff Beck ethereal sounding song called "Mountain Time" finished out the set.

Chants of Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, went up from the crowd and Mr. Bonamassa blessed us with "Bird On A Wire" and "Just Got Paid" for the encore.

I must mention that the crowd was an older crowd considering Joe Bonamassa is only in his thirties kind of amazed me. I wonder why Joe's peers aren't coming out to see him. A lot of times when I go to concerts I feel like the old weird guy, tonight I was with many of my friends and a crowd averaging 50 years old if I had to guess.

The band consisted of Joe Bonamassa on guitar and vocals. Rick Mellick on keyboards which was a nice touch. In the past Joe was a three piece band. The keyboards added a welcomed warmth and depth to the music which was quite pleasing to the ears. Bass player Carmin Rojas stays somewhat unnoticed sitting on his bar stool but his bass lines are such a great compliment to Joe's guitar work, I hope the two of them stay together along time. I am sorry to report I did not catch the Drummers name but he was very strong and also was a compliment to the music. Overall I have to say it was a great show. Five Twirls in my mind, easy. If you ever get the chance and want to see one of the great new young guns of the guitar go see Joe Bonamassa.

PS. I would like to thank Rick and Debbie for inviting me and my Honey Bunny to a great show. I would also like to thank Dale and Sylvia for picking up the wonderful seats for us. Thanks and Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment