Thursday, July 9, 2009

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women, Beachland 7/8/09

I'm not a huge country fan and so I was kind of in the dark when I went to the Beachland Ballroom to see Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women. I was surprised at how good this band was musically and they were the cutest damn band I have seen ever. Dave Alvin, originally of the Blasters, has formed a truly remarkable band of all women. They played music off of their new album entitled "Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women" and did some of the Dave's older material also. The music was folk at times, then switched to Texas swing, bluesy and rockin. Most of the night my toes were tapping. Finishing off the night with a rockin version of "Que Sera Sera". It's not your Doris Day song any more.

I don't know what else these women are guilty of but I can tell you one thing they are guilty of and that is being virtuosos on there respective instruments.

Cindy Cashdoller (her real name) played lap steel guitar and dobro. She could make bluesy soulful sounds and also turn to swing at a drop of a cowboy hat. Cindy is from Austin and has played with Asleep at the Wheel, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Marcia Ball and Jorma Kaukenen. A hot blond with a mean slide.

Cristy McWilson seemed to be Dave's favorite woman, as he explains that he knew Christy since she was 11 years old. She seemed a bit shy until she unleashed her roots music vocals that took you back to the hills for a good old stomp in the woods. There was something about Miss McWilson that kept reminding me of the movie "Oh Brother where Art Thou". Maybe it was her hurky jerky way of dancing or just her old timey drawl of her vocals. Christy is from Seattle Washington and has been recording since the 1980's. Oh yeah and she was pretty cute too.

Petite, redhead, Amy Farris, violinist extraordinaire. She could make a song swing with her violin. Sometimes she played soft and sometimes she was rough, but she obviously came to play. This little spitfire gave the band its old time country sound. Hailing from Austin, Texas the little girl with the big violin sound was very easy on the eyes. She has played with some of the greats such as Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Dusty Springfield, Emmy Lou Harris and Neko Case.

On bass was Sarah Brown. She was raised on blues and played with Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Bill Kircher and Wanda Jackson. Sarah stayed in the background but was always there bringing the band together. She is from Ann Arbor, Michigan but could play with all of these old timey country gals. I would not kick her out of bed for hitting a wrong note, if you know what I mean.

Lisa Pankratz hid behind her drum kit but boy could she play. On a few songs I thought the rest of the band was just going to stop playing and let her go wild. The crowd would have loved it. She kept the blues beats rolling but she could swing when she had to. I would compare her to Led Zepplins Bonneham but it would be an insult to Lisa, because she can play, but she is so much cuter than Bonzo.

Dave Alvin and his baritone voice blended nicely with Chrity McWilson's tenor and Amy Farris' alto vocals. Dave is a guitarist versed in his version of country blues, swing and rock.

The older crowd loved him. When the Beachland puts chairs for people to sit on the crowd seems more subdued. I don't know if it is because the crowd is older or is it because of the chairs. I had a good time and would go back to see this band again.

Eilen Jewell warmed up. She has a haunting voice, very crisp and clear. I think you will be hearing more from her in the near future. Her guitarist, Jerry Miller, was an older gentelman than you would expect to be playing with a younger girl like Miss Jewell, but a very good country guitarist. Her encore was the old English classic "Shakin' All Over", with shakes in my knee bones, a very eerie yet sensuous version. I like her and would go to see her again.

I rate this show 4 twirls with some moth catcher hand moves.

4 comments:

  1. I just seen the band a few days ago in Greenfield Massachusetts and they were fantastic!!! My favorite is Amy Farris, man can she make beautiful sounds from that fiddle!!! made it cry, made it howl, made it roar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redtelephone66 welcome to the Moral Compass. I am glad that you enjoyed the show. Not only was Amy a great fiddle player, she was pretty damn cute too. Greenfield Mass? Let us know if you are coming to Cleveland for any shows in the future, we have some nice clubs to see music in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review MC! I never heard of them 'til now but will make sure I catch them the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy farris died in early October she will be missed. The little girl with the big sound on violin cannot be replaced. Thank God there are recordings that we can go back to keep Amy alive in our minds. Amy, I am sure heaven needed a fiddle player otherwise God would not have taken you from us. RIP

    ReplyDelete