Thursday, February 12, 2009

Derek Trucks Band HOB 2/11/09

I need to take some advice from Greg Cielec, the famed music critic, author, teacher, coach, friend and so much more, he told me that when he goes to review a band he takes notes during the concert. Seems simple but I didn't do it and today I can't remember the name of the songs that DTB played. I will say that if you wanted to hear short songs with catchy lyrics played like they are on the radio you came to the wrong concert.

Derek came out at exactly 9:00 and played for 2 hours and 15 minutes and played 14 songs. He opened with "Down Don't Bother Me" and "Down In The Flood" from his new Already Free CD. The only other two songs I can recall from his new CD were the title tune "Already Free" and "I Know". His third song slid into "Sahib Teri Bandi" a classic instrumental song and a fan favorite. The Derek Trucks Band plays a rock and roll, bluesy form of jazz with a tinge of African and Indian overtones. You should have heard Derek's instrumental version of Julie Andrews "My Favorite Things" with an interlude of Jimi Hendrix's "Who Knows". I don't think Julie Andrews knew her song could sound this good. No one plays a slide guitar that sounds any thing like Derek's. Another highlight was "Soul Of A Man" Mike Mattison's vocals were superb on this one. Actually Mike Mattison vocals were superb all night when he was on stage, remember DTB likes its instrumentals and jams so Mike dissappears form the stage at times. Todd Smallie is a reserved Bass guitarist who I feel needs to step to the front on a song or two. He is very accomplished on his instrument but very reserved just the same. The ever popular Yonrico Scott was on drums adding a deep back beat joined by Count M'Butu on congas and tambourines. Kofi Burbridge added the right keyboards and flute to every song. The night was a great night of World Music and Peace and Love. OK not the love part.

I felt no love towards some of my felow concert goers. I had two chicks with a guy in a wheel chair next to me that talked incessantly the whole concert. SHUT UP AND LISTEN. My Honey Bunny had a guy standing three people away from her that was trying to talk louder than the music, he eventually left to go bother other people. Then the gray haired gentleman in front of me pushed past me six times to go to the bar before he and his partner decided they had had enough and staggered out of the show with five songs to go. Is there such a thing as concert etiquette any more. Even with all of the distractions I rate it a five twirl show.

1 comment:

  1. sorry i missed the show, but i like the sound of your sweetie, is she hot, does she have any freinds

    ReplyDelete