Saturday, June 9, 2012

Walter Trout Canton Blues Fest. 6/8/12

I got a call from my friend Nob who lives in Canton telling me to come on down to Canton for the Blues Fest.  This is a free event held in down town Canton featuring two days of music.  Nob was very excited because Walter Trout was going to be head lining on Friday night and Coco Montoya was head lining Saturday night.  I have heard of Walter Trout from my friend Bri Boy so I decided to take the ride to Canton and check Walter out.  Man was I glad I went.

It was a beautiful summer night in the high 70's not a cloud in the sky.  An older crowd sat in lawn chairs or on blankets.  Nob and I stood off to the side of the stage. 

Walter Trout is a middle aged Blues guitarist that has played with Canned Heat and John Mayall's Blues Breakers.  He plays a rocking white mans blues which is a cross over between blues and rock and roll.  Walter likes playing the high notes on his Fender guitar which made most of thee night just scream with excitement.  The crowd danced and swayed on the grassy square between the down town Canton buildings.  

Half way through his set Walter Trout plugs tomorrow nights headliner Coco Montoya, who also played with the Blues Breakers, and who just joined band on the stage to play two songs with Walter Trout.  Coco just didn't play he also sang.  Seeing these two great guitarists on stage trading licks back and forth will be one of my concert highlights for years to come.

Walter finishes out the night with a rousing rendition of Freddie Kings "Going Down" which left everyone in attendance dancing and cheering for more. 

If you get a chance next year check out the Canton Blues Fest it is a well kept secret that everyone should become a part of. 

I give this show  5 twirls with some moth catcher hand moves thrown in.  I was wowed.

My rating system is based on Grateful Dead dance moves 5 twirls being the highest and Moth Catcher Hand Moves are like adding another half of point on.

No comments:

Post a Comment