Saturday, March 5, 2011

Paul Thorn Beachland Ballroom 3/4/11

I know that I have covered Paul Thorn concerts many times before but for $18 you can't get any better entertainment than the PTB. We had another Paul Thorn Virgin with us Sharon, who half way through the concert turned to me and said, "I absolutely love this guy". The man has an infectious stage presence and the music is really good. I think he is one of the best story telling lyricists alive. The stories he tells between the songs are so funny he could easily be a comedian. Music and comedy for the price of one ticket, you can't beat that.

THE SONGS PLAYED
Your Not The Only One
Weeds In My Roses
Everybody Looks Good At The Starting Line
Nothing But the Devil
Better Days Ahead
Resurrection Day
All About People
Ain't Gonna Sin No More
Rise Up
Temporarily Forever Mine (solo acoustic)
I Don't Like Half The Folks I Love (solo acoustic)
Where Was I (solo acoustic)
Pimps and Preachers
Ain't Gonna Beg
Might Be Wrong
Mona Lisa
Lotta Good Reasons
Have a Good Day
Lovers Vacation
Long Way from Tupelo

Encore
That's All I Know Right Now
Mission Temple

Paul changed the mood of the night from slow bluesy tunes like "Lotta Good Reasons", "That's All I Know Right Now", "Ain't Gonna Beg". To hot rocking songs like"Weeds In My Roses", "Lovers Vacation", "Pimps and Preachers". He gave the band a break when he played three Acoustic songs, "Temporarily Forever Mine", I Don't Like Half the Folks I Love" and " Where Was I".

Through out the show Paul Thorn would stop singing and let the crowd take over singing the lyrics. It just amazes me that in a few short years the Paul Thorn Band went from maybe thirty people in the Beachland Tavern to a packed house in the Ballroom and everyone knew the lyrics.

The final song "Mission Temple" was like an old time bible revival with Paul Thorn singing out words and the crowd with their hands in the air repeating back the words. People were dancing singing and laughing the whole night long. Don't be surprised if the next time the PTB comes through you see another review. Sharon by the way I love this guy too.

I rate this show four twirls with some mothcatcher hand moves thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment