Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gov't Mule Buffalo NY 8/7/10

Gov't Mule and Jackie Greene played the Erie Canal Harbour for $10 in advance and $20 if purchased the last week before the show. I don't think you can find a better deal than that any where. Erie Canal Harbour is a park sandwiched between the Buffalo River and the Buffalo Sky way. You get beautiful River scenes with boats cruising by and a wonderful sunset and yet you are on the edge of Downtown Buffalo. A portable stage was set up to accommodate the weekend long affair. Herbie Hancock and Johny Lang played Friday night at the venue for the same price.

Jackie Greene played his Americana style music of original music mixed with some Beatles and Grateful Dead hits. Jackie had a stellar backup band and played a few acoustic songs also. I had never seen Jackie Greene before but I will be purchasing some of his CD's soon.

Gov't Mule took the stage just before dark and proceeded to light up the crowd with "Bad Little Doggie". Warren Haynes, Matt Abts, Jorgen Carlsson and Danny Louis were as tight tonight as I have ever seen them. They played two sets with a short intermission between. Gov't Mule played many of their best songs such as; "Thorazine Shuffle", "By A Thread", "Broke Down On The Brazos", "I'm A Ram", "Slack Jaw Jezebel". They also entertained the crowd with a Pink Floyd song and "Too Lazy" by Deep Purple. The encore was a very mornful version of "Morning Dew" with Jackie Greene on guitar with Warren Haynes switching leads and sharing vocals. I looked at Scottie who was standing next to me when the song ended and we both at the same time said "WOOOOW". It doesn't get much better than that.

The crowd was filed with people of all ages from little kids to old folks who have a hard time standing for 5 hour any more (like me). Many people brought lawn chairs and sat behind the standing mass of bodies. It was a beautiful night in the mid seventies to listen to some good Rock and Roll. I wish Cleveland would get their shit together and plan a weekend of music like Buffalo does. The three hour trip was well worth the weekend of music for a total of $20, gas and hotel. I give this show 5 twirls, totally awesome. I did do some twirling while I was dancing in the crowd and I danced all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment