Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2009 Moral Compass In Review

Well 2009 did not go out with a bang and 2010 has come in with a whimper. 2009 was a year of trying to hold on until the economy can pick up. A President just getting his feet wet. A year of few accomplishments in Cleveland sports. And some good and bad music that I reviewed. The Moral Compass has completed one year of publication and I have not been sued for slander or defamation of character. I have pissed off some friends with my views but not enough to get them to write in on the comment sections at the end of each article. I will have to try harder this year. I have heard comments on the street that lets me know that I am being read and that I do get people to think.

I wrote six articles on the Browns, none of them were very complimentary. Manidiot will stay, The autistic son of Buddy Ryan should go and Duhboll is probably out of a job. Quinn and Anderson both proved to be mediocre at best. The Browns finished the season at 5 and 11. The five teams the Browns beat have a combined record of 31 and 49 with Pittspuke being the only team with a winning record at 9 and 7. None of the teams that we beat made it to the playoffs. The highlights for the year are the Browns beat Pittspuke. My one nephew got to see the fourth longest field goal in NFL history being made by, unfortunately, Janikowski from Oakland, 61 yards. My other nephew Brett gets to brag that his first tail gate party was in snowy weather, 12 degrees outside with a wind chill of minus two. Cribbs sets record with the most kick off returns ever. Harrison breaks Jim Browns single game rushing yardage record.

I did not write about the Indians because there was nothing to write. The Indians traded away two Cy young winners and got nothing in return. The Cavs bowed out of the play offs in the finals without giving Miami much of a struggle. Congratulations to Gary Waters and the Cleveland State Vikings. CSU went to the NCAA tournament and beat Wake Forest in the first round then got crushed by Arizona. I think a NIT berth is waiting for CSU this year 2010 with a return to the NCAA tournament next year 2011.

I wrote 16 articles connected to music. Reviews of The Dead with Warren Haynes, Farm Aid, The Rock and Roll Induction Ceremonies, Jeff Beck and Dave Matthews were some of the highlights. Todd Rundgren was one of the disappointments. George Taylor Morris the DJ from Deep Tracks passed away along with Amy Farris a talented fiddle player. I did not write about the tribute to Janice Joplin which was quite good except for Lucinda Williams she sucked. Susan Tedeschi, Nona Hendrix, Carolyn Wonderland and two of the members of Santana stole the show. Remember RAP ain't Rock and either is ABBA. I hope to keep up with the music reviews people do not get as mad with a bad music review as they do with politics.

I gave my comment 11 times on political issues. I must admit that I was hoping for a little more from Obama but he has three more years to finish out strong. The economy is showing signs of picking up even though I am still unemployed. There is a health care bill being worked on that could reform the way we think of health care in the United States. People have been talking about health care reform since the Eisenhower administration, it is about time something got done. We are pulling out of Iraq and escalating in Afghanistan. I thought my Christmas wish was going to come true but alas Rush Limpdick is still alive.

Michael Steele tried to separate the Republican Party from the rantings of Rush Limbaugh but had to back down because Rush controls too many GOP votes. The NFL owners made sure that a lout like Rush would not be associated with them. Even though the rich and powerful GOP's like the way Rush lies, cheats and steels to get votes for the Republicans, no one wants to be associated with him because he lies, cheats and steels to get votes for the Republicans. Poor Rushie baby has not figured out that his personality keeps him out of the inner circle where he wants to be. Maybe this will be the year that the drug addled, bufoon will go to rot in hell.

"Going Rogue" has come out and I will be doing a book review on it early this year. Rah, rah rah, I LOVE YOU SARAH!

I still feel "Slum Dog Millionaire" is over rated and that "Gran Torino" should have been picture of the year. Looking forward to seeing "Sherlock Holmes".

Two of my friends from High School lost their fathers this year. When I went to the wakes I realized how much we had drifted apart. At some point in time I was almost like family to them as they were to me. I feel terrible for their loss and am not looking forward to the day that I lose a parent. I can not even imagine the pain. Bobby Perko lost his wife to cancer. Bob I feel for you. Again I can not even imagine what he is going through. I really can not even think of going on without my Honey Bunny, I would be lost. My prayers go out to the Focaretto, Makowski and Perko families.

Hopefully 2010 can pick up momentum and go out with a bang so that the first decade in the new millennium can close on a positive note. Here is wishing you all a prosperous, healthy New Year and may God bless us all and keep us safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment